The "What / So What / Now What"
(WSWN) template is a problem-solving tool that can help individuals or teams to structure their thoughts and make decisions. The three steps of the WSWN template are:
What: This step involves defining the problem or issue at hand, gathering information and data to understand it better.
So What: In this step, you analyze the information collected in the previous step and identify the root cause of the problem, the impact it has and potential consequences.
**Now What: **In this final step, you use the insights from the previous steps to generate possible solutions, prioritize them and make a decision on the best course of action.
The benefits of using the WSWN template are:
- Clarity and Focus: The template provides a clear structure and helps to stay focused on the problem at hand and avoid getting sidetracked by irrelevant information.
- Root Cause Analysis: By focusing on the "So What" step, the template encourages a deeper understanding of the problem and helps to identify the root cause.
- Better Decision Making: By considering the possible solutions in the "Now What" step, the template helps to make more informed decisions that are based on a thorough analysis of the problem.
- Collaboration: The WSWN template can be used as a team-building tool, promoting collaboration and communication among team members.
- Improved Problem-Solving Skills: By using the template consistently, individuals can improve their problem-solving skills and become more effective at making decisions.